2017 – the year in employee share schemes
Traditionally, as the year ends, RM2 takes a look at the highlights of the year in share schemes.
This year, we thought we’d break with tradition and focus on the most important highlight – our clients.
We are lucky enough to work with a huge variety of companies in a range of sectors, all with individual requirements for their share schemes, and all at a different stage in their corporate – and share plan – lifecycle.
This year, we’ve worked with:
- The smallest private companies, with fewer than 5 employees, looking to put in place the simplest form of EMI. To help them, we’ve developed and launched www.emi-online.co.uk – an automated service to help the smallest companies implement share plans at a realistic cost
- Established family owned businesses – of all sizes – who found the best succession solution was to establish an Employee Ownership Trust and transferred ownership to their employees.
This year the number of EOTs passed 150 (according to the survey that we compiled for the EOA) – RM2 is proud to have helped our clients who’ve made the big step to employee ownership
- Stable and successful larger companies looking to reward all their employees equitably by way of a Share Incentive Plan
- Fast growing, investment backed private companies using growth shares – and making the most of tax efficient EMI options while they can
- Successful private companies who’ve achieved their ultimate goal of a sale – with the proceeds shared with the wider workforce following the exercise of options
- The companies with active, meaningful and bespoke employee share plan arrangements, with carefully designed and managed performance conditions, with internal markets created using employee benefit trusts, with involved, engaged employees benefiting from lively and impactful equity plans – the companies that make employee ownership an everyday, crucial function of their operation.
To all of our clients who have worked with us, some for many years, and some taking the first steps towards employee ownership in its many forms – thank you! We wish you all a very happy Christmas, and every success for 2018!