does the research for the Employee Ownership Top 50, a list of the largest 50
private employee-owned companies in the UK. RM2 publishes the list in a
partnership with the Employee Ownership Association (EOA). You can download the
infographic by clicking the link below.
Key facts for 2019:
- There are two new entrants: Richer Sounds and Bromley Healthcare.
- Combined sales for the Top 50 is £19.2 billion, which is up 3.5% on a like-for-like basis.
- Total employees for the Top 50 is 166,000 which is up 1.4% on a like-for-like basis. This is despite partner numbers at John Lewis Partnership being down 1%.
- The median change in operating profit for the Top 50 is plus 3.0%.
- The mean increase in productivity, defined as value added per employee, was 7.7% on a like-for-like basis.
- Wages per employee increased by 2.5% on a like-for-like basis.
- 60% of the companies in the Top 50 have no debt.
- The number of employees needed to qualify for inclusion in the Top 50 is now 403. Last year it was 389. In 2014, when the Top 50 list was first published, it was 143.
- "like for like” means we compare each of the 50 companies on this year's list against its own prior year results.
Criteria for inclusion: Companies must be incorporated in the UK as companies limited by shares, unquoted, independent and at least 25% owned by employees on a broad basis. Companies may have non-UK holding companies if the UK companies are operationally independent and the non-UK holding companies are at least 75% owned by employees. Shares from joint ventures and associate companies are excluded.
Criteria for exclusion: The list does not cover quoted companies, LLPs or partnerships. In businesses constituted as industrial and provident societies, companies limited by guarantee and community interest companies, employee ownership can be hard to ascertain from published sources so, in such cases, we have relied on a business's membership of EOA as evidence of employee ownership.
Data collection: Several sources were used, including internet searches, lists of EOA members, Companies House searches and professional advisers active in the sector. Figures for employee numbers and revenues are taken from companies’ latest published annual accounts at Companies House. Estimates of the percentage of employee ownership in each company were sourced from the companies’ own websites or EOA or press reports, corroborated where possible from annual returns.
Disclaimer: Employee ownership data is not systematically published by companies so the list may not be accurate. Nominations for inclusion and corrections should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
terms: Operating profit or EBITDA is defined as earnings before interest, tax,
depreciation and amortization. Productivity is defined as value added per
employee. Value added is defined as EBITDA plus total wages. Debt is defined as
the sum of bank loans and overdrafts, other short term finances and other long
term finances minus cash.