Share plan annual return season is here

Posted by RM2 at 16:35 on 15 Apr 2020


We find ourselves in unprecedented times and we hope this blog finds you safe and well.

Here at RM2 we are working as normal to support our clients to maintain their employee share scheme records.

As we have now reached the end of the tax year, we have been contacting our clients to gather details of activity in their employee share plans throughout the 2019/20 tax year. These events are reportable to HMRC via the Employment Related Securities (ERS) online system.

HMRC do not send reminders to file a return, but they will issue automatic penalties for failure to file on time. At the time of writing, there is no indication that penalties will be waived or the July deadline extended in light of the global pandemic.

Companies that have established a tax advantaged employee share scheme such as an Enterprise Management Incentive (EMI), Share Incentive Plan (SIP), Company Share Option Plan (CSOP) and Save As You Earn (SAYE) or a non-tax advantaged employee share plan such as a Growth Share Plan (GSP) or Long Term Incentive Plan (LTIP) will need to register their share plan online and self-certify that it meets the legislative requirements by completing an online declaration. A return then needs to be prepared and filed for each arrangement by early July each and every year.

When do I need to file my return with HMRC?

A company has until 6th July following the tax year in which the plan was established to notify HMRC of its existence and file a share plan return. An annual return must be filed each tax year until the record is closed.

What do I need to report to HMRC on my share plan return?

A share plan return is required for each and every arrangement that has been registered. You will need to include:

  • Activity within the plans such as leavers, option exercises, new SIP awards and releases to name few.

RM2 act as ERS agents for our administration clients and file the returns on their behalf. If you require assistance with your filings, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us at