New HMRC templates for share scheme returns

Posted by RM2 at 15:51 on 28 Jun 2014


2013/2014 is the last tax year in which you can use paper annual returns for share schemes.

From this tax year (2014/2015), you must submit your annual returns for share schemes (and all other employment related securities) online. To do this, you must record information relating to your share scheme and send it as an attachment to HMRC by 6th July following the end of the relevant tax year.

HMRC have published templates for various share schemes which you can download and then use to record the supporting information here. You don’t have to use the template, but if you use your own you will need to make sure it follows the same format as the HMRC template. If it doesn’t, you may be subject to penalties.

Before you send in your returns you must have registered your scheme online and, in the case of tax advantaged schemes like CSOP, SAYE and SIP, self-certified the scheme on the Employment Related Securities Online Service. This will provide you with a unique reference number which will be needed to complete the annual return. More details of how to register your scheme are here.

For more information on any of the content covered in this blog, please contact a member of the RM2 team on 020 8949 5522.